Thursday 9 June 2011

Self-Investment

One of the many things that seem to puzzle me is the concept of ‘self-investment’. By this I mean any source of money that we devote solely to ourselves. I’ll use my own situation as an illustration to my point...

Recently, I had the most disgusting pain in my teeth that was affecting my sleep in the worst of ways. At first, I decided to ignore it and just lay down on the sugary stuff I was eating on to get me through the day- (you know them 3 for £1 bags of sweets at Tesco’s lol). When the pain grew in intensity I decided to turn to drugs (no I didn’t start smoking Sour D, I took paracetamol). When this too only offered little solution to my problem I decided to start brushing my teeth whenever the pain caused and was strongly against the most obvious cure to my issue- to go and see the bloody dentist!

The main reason for this was that (and I am not ashamed to admit this btw), I owed the dentist money following treatment I received. Me being over 18, I was no longer eligible for free check-ups and had to make up a story that time just to make a clean getaway- this being that I was on benefits and therefore exempt from paying. A blatant lie they found out after investigating.

The issue in this was not that I did not have the money to pay for my teeth- far from! it was more of a “Am I a dickhead? Why am I going to pay for something that last year would have been free? KMT” type of attitude and until very recently I saw nothing wrong in this way of thinking.

Self-investment phobia.


We as young people are victim to this disease I call ‘self-investment phobia’. Any type of situation that requires us to spend money on bettering ourselves and maximise our health we are reluctant to engage in but if we were in the West, End, we wouldn’t even hesitate on spending the same exact amount on a new pair of designer shoes or trainers... especially if they’re on ‘sale’.

Another good example is whenever I went food shopping with my friends there was always an unofficial battle between us to see who could spend the least. If we were in ASDA, one friend in particular would fill up his trolley with more green and white than at a Super Eagles world cup qualifier. If it means saving a few pounds off the total bill, this same friend would opt for southern fried chicken breasts with less than 33% real chicken in it (:O). I would also often get cussed for choosing 100% pure, not from concentrate juice or smoothies as nobody could understand why I would want to spend so much on something that I could have got for a fraction of the price.

The reason I did and still continue to do so is because food is one of the only things we get to enjoy by ourselves and if it means that spending more will guarantee more enjoyment, why not? Especially when that enjoyment is a healthier option for us.

You're worth it! Aren't you?

Whether it be the decision to spend thousands of £’s on driving lessons or parting with £30 a month on gym membership... I urge you to do so without regret. Self-investment is something you should continually strive for as it for the most important thing you’ll ever get to spend on... YOURSELF! Fair enough you might use the old “but allow it, i’m a student” line or say that “man’s grinding out ere” but you can sit tight with that cock and bull right there.

Life is there to be enjoyed, and lived to the fullest. In the words of Nigerian music artist M.I.: “Don’t spend your life getting money... Coz you can’t spend money to get life!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Progression is a Must: the blog. Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger